There are lots of ways to get involved with the Library or your community. For further information on these or any other opportunities please contact the teen department at (604) 998-3494.
Volunteering opportunities can fill up quickly. These opportunities are first come, first served. We will do our best to accommodate your requests! Please note, all Library volunteers who work with the public will undergo a mandatory criminal background check.
Tweens (Grade 5-7)
Tween Advisory Group
Bring your ideas for fun events in the Library and work with other tweens to make them happen! We meet on the last Thursday of each month from 3:30-5pm during the school year. Register by clicking the "register" button in the calendar listing.
Teens (Grades 8-12)
Registration for Winter/Spring 2017 volunteer positions is now open.
Teen Volunteer Opportunities:
- NOW FULL
- For teens in grades eight and up. Volunteer to be a reading buddy for children. You must be able to commit to volunteering each Wednesday, April 5 to May 17, 2017 from 4 to 5 p.m.. English reading and speaking skills are required for this volunteer opportunity.
- For teens in grades eight and up. Events schedule TBA. Volunteer to help with Library events, like our gaming tournaments, teen room parties and more.
- For teens in grades eight and up. Volunteer from 3:30-5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays during the school year. Be a mentor to pre-teens learning about LEGO robotics in the library. No prior experience with LEGO or robotics needed.
Teen Initiated Programs
(a TAC Subcommittee) - OPEN
- For teens in grades eight and up. Work in a small group to plan and organize an event or program series for teens. You will develop teamwork, leadership, critical thinking and creative skills and strengthen your confidence, while gaining tools to help you give back to your community. If your schedule allows, you may also sign up for TAC, above.
Teen Advisory Council - NOW FULL
- For teens in grades eight and up. Attend meetings twice monthly on Tuesday evenings from 7-8:30 p.m.. Develop your leadership skills while having fun helping to plan and promote Library programs and events for teens. You will also get a chance to provide input on teen services and materials. If your schedule allows, you may also sign up for a new subcommittee of TAC, the TIP program below.
Teen Art & Promotion Group
- NOW FULL
- Do you love art and/or graphic design? Join the Library’s new Teen Art & Promotion Group to put your creative skills to work. You will get to create artwork and promote Library programs. You may also get involved with curating teen artwork, or assisting with creating themed decorations for the teen room.
Homework Buddies - NOW FULL
- For teens in grades eight and up. Volunteer from 3:30-5:30 p.m. on Thursdays during the school year. Love learning new things and teaching others? Be a homework buddy and mentor pre-teens.