WHAT'S YOUR STORY?
We are all about telling stories, and our Digitization Station is a service that aims to help you do just that. Here you can learn to digitize photos, documents, slides, VHS, vinyl records or music cassettes.
We show you how to use the equipment, and then you work independently to complete your project(s)
FREE with a library card registered at the North Vancouver City Library.
BOOK THE DIGITIZATION STATION
In order to access the Digitization Station, you’ll need to get a brief orientation from our TechConnect staff. After that, you can book the station for up to four hours per week, in any combination of time slots you choose.
The station is available:
- Monday – Friday from 9:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Sundays from 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- You must have had an orientation to book the Digitization Station
- You must be 13 or older, or accompanied by an adult, to use the Digitization Station
- Please arrive within 10 minutes of your booking time, or it will be automatically cancelled.
- When you arrive for your booking, make sure you check in with staff. They will need to take your library card and unlock the door for you.
- Make sure you leave at least 15 minutes at the end of your session for saving your work and transferring to your personal storage device.
- Also, let staff know when you’re finished working!
WHAT CAN BE DIGITIZED?
- Audio cassette tapes
- Audio CDs
- Camcorder tapes, 8mm or MiniDV
- Photo negatives
- Photos up to 8 x 11
- Slides, 35mm
- VHS video tapes (NTSC / Region 1 only)
- Vinyl (33, 45 and 78s)
We also offer a variety of software to help you make your new digital content, and tell the stories they contain; create your family tree, create a digital scrapbook, or even a slideshow or movie from your old photos, slides, and family videos!
We are unfortunately no longer able to offer PAL or SECAM VHS Video Tape digitization. Please consult our Commercial Digitization Services brochure for local businesses that offer service for these formats.
WHAT EQUIPMENT & SOFTWARE DO WE HAVE?
- 27” All-in-One PC with Windows 10
- AudioTechnica USB record player (33, 45 & 78 compatible)
- Epson Perfection V800 flat-bed scanner
- Honestech VIDBOX RCA to USB adapter
- Ion Tape-2-PC cassette player
- Panasonic PV-GS300 MiniDV camcorder
- Sony DCR-TRV350 Digital8 / Hi8 / 8mm camcorder
- VHS player with VIDBOX RCA-USB converter
- Cassette tape conversion: Ion EZ Vinyl Tape Converter
- Digital scrapbooking: MyMemories Suite 6
- Family tree creation: Ancestry.ca Online Family Tree Maker
- Slideshow and video creation: Windows Movie Maker
- Vinyl conversion: Audacity
- VHS conversion: Honestech VHS-to-DVD 8.0 Deluxe
WHAT HELP and TRAINING IS AVAILABLE?
During your orientation
TechConnect staff will tailor your orientation to the specific formats that you want to digitize, and go over the basics of any of the creation software that you want to use.
During your booking
Third floor staff can answer basic questions, but it is expected that you will know how to use the equipment and software you need for your project. If you need further help, please book a TechConnect session, or use one of our tutorials:
Questions? Email us at email@example.com